Do you want to know how many claims did Zurich payout in 2019?
Claims paid by Zurich amounted to more than £287.6m in 2019. Where only 3% of claims were declined.
- For life claims, 99% were paid, amounting to over £203.3m, including one child bereavement claim.
- Some claims were denied as the policyholders didn’t share information about high alcohol consumption or a history of smoking or they had undergone treatment or investigations for a health problem.
Critical illness claims
- 90% of critical illness (CI) claims were paid by Zurich last year. Worth more than £76.4m. This included eight claims for children amounting to £189,000. Moreover,
- 21 partial claims worth £422,000 were paid where customers were diagnosed with less severe illness as compared to the conditions covered by the policies.
- 350 people received payments of £1.22m for fracture cover.
- The average age of critical illness claimants was 50 in 2019.
The most common reasons for claims were:
- Breast cancer (18%)
- Heart attack (12%)
- Prostate cancer (6%)
- Stroke (6%)
- A benign brain tumour was the most common cause of children’s (21%) and partial claims (14%).
Why were CI claims declined?
10% of critical illness claims were declined, two-thirds were because the condition customers tried to claim for conditions that were not covered by their policy. One claim was declined where a medical consultant confirmed the condition was benign and hence did not meet the policy definition.
Of the 10 declined, over a third of CI claims were declined because of misrepresentation on application forms.
Income protection (IP) claims
- For IP, 98% of claims were paid which totalled £7.2m.
- The average monthly sum paid was £1,534 with around 395 claims in payment per month.
- 2% of claims were declined because of non-disclosure of medical details.
The main conditions for income protection claim include:
- Cancer (18%)
- Neurological disorders (18%)
- Musculoskeletal disorders (16%)
- Mental illness including anxiety, stress, and depression (13%)
We would recommend you to talk to one of our advisers for life insurance quotes.
Any quote that your adviser provides you with will take into account your circumstances, your medical history, as well as your budget!
Call 011-3733-4610 – Monday to Thursday from 11.00 to 19.00 and on Friday between 11.00 and 16.00