What is Multiple Sclerosis?
Multiple Sclerosis is a degenerative condition of the brain and spinal cord. It affects quite a few people in the UK. It usually affects people between 20 and 40 years, but this is not a hard and fast rule, and it can occur anytime during their lifetime. The other thing about the disease is that it affects different people differently. Even two people with the same type of Multiple Sclerosis can experience completely different symptoms. There are four types of Multiple Sclerosis:
- Relapsing-remitting Multiple Sclerosis
- Progressive-relapsing Multiple Sclerosis
- Primary-progressive Multiple Sclerosis
- Secondary-progressive Multiple Sclerosis
Difficult to find standard policy terms
Given the serious nature of the disease and it affecting two vital organs of the body, it is difficult to find insurance on normal terms, and sometimes people may find insurance companies refusing to give a cover completely. People suffering from Multiple Sclerosis will find their insurance premium usually higher. The premium will also depend on the severity and type of Multiple Sclerosis that you suffer from.
Proper and accurate disclosure a must
Like with all pre-existing conditions, it is important that you truthfully and accurately disclose about your Multiple Sclerosis to the insurance company. Any hiding of facts will cost you severely, as there are sure shot chances of your claim being denied by the insurance company because you failed to do a proper disclosure at the time of taking out the policy.
What insurance company would like to know?
The information that the insurance company will seek from you about your Multiple Sclerosis will be as follows:
- When were you diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis?
- What type of Multiple Sclerosis do you suffer from — remitting, relapsing, primary or secondary progressive?
- When was the last time you experienced symptoms of the condition?
- Does your working life affect your condition?
- Has it led to many problems with eating, drinking or breathing?
- Do you require walking aids?
We would recommend you to talk to one of our advisers for life insurance quotes.
Any quote that your adviser provides you with will take into account your circumstances, your medical history, as well as your budget!
Call 011-3733-4610 – Monday to Thursday from 11.00 to 19.00 and on Friday between 11.00 and 16.00